Saturday, March 7, 2009

Riding Squeekers part 1

I was very disappointed today- I had really wanted to ride. The forecast was for a 50 degree day with mostly sunny skies. Bill had agreed to go with me to the indoor after his morning clients- so we could see how Beau looked and take Squeeke for a test ride. But, I guess it wasn't meant to be...when I let Beau out this morning he looked a bit off- took an odd step with his hind after I put hay out. And, in hindsight, he came slowly out where he has been cantering out in the mornings lately. Yup, by the time I came back out to clean he was 3 legged. Lame again!!! I was so upset. I just stood there with him crying. I can't believe it. I had been looking forward to this all week! He has looked so good lately- and now left hind is off- no heat/swelling/cuts. I can't find a darn thing to explain it! I don't know what he did- I guess slipped or took a funny step on the ice, but you would think that if he had pulled or strained something there would be some swelling. After I cried for a bit feeling sorry for him and myself I went into the house to use the bathroom and just then Bill got home. He came out with me and went over him too. He can't find anything either- I was praying for an abscess- but he didn't respond to hoof testers anywhere. So, back to bute and stall rest. And no ride for me today. I think I may have him tested for Lyme with his spring shots. It's just all too weird for me. But, Bill was whooping because its a HIND!! He was so happy it's not a front again. Small blessings right?!
Speaking of small blessings. Look who still got ridden today! I didn't want to truck her to the indoor alone- I think it would be unfair to take her just yet. She still needs to settle and trust us. I figured with Beau it would be fine, but there was no way I was going to take her alone. So, I hopped on Sonny and Bill got on Squeekers and we took her for a little spin on the only ground that doesn't have snow or ice. The driveway!

She was great for girthing and mounting and all that. There was really no problems at all. Bill and I walked up and back a few times- he worked on brakes and steering and trotted just a few strides. We switched and he got on Sonny and then we spent some time passing each other and he walked/trotted/cantered up behind us, and up to us head on. I wanted to be sure she was going to be good with other horses- she passed that test just fine! She was great with him following or leading. The dogs also dart in and out of the woods around here, and can run pretty fast right up behind you. She wasn't bothered by any of that at all...
So we put the girls up on her! Olivia rode with Sonny and I first. We walked back and forth and they just spent some time getting to know each other. Olivia is certainly on the upper end of Squeeke's size capabilities, but they didn't look too ridiculous. I think they actually were pretty cute together! It was good to have Olivia test her- she is much more confident and I think it did Savanna good to see her up.


After Olivia had her turn... then came Savanna! Olivia was very supportive and helped to get Savanna's stirrups and girth checked before she mounted. The girth I got yesterday fits fine, but it has elastic on both ends. I think it's easier for the girls if it's just on one- less stretch means less fussing with getting it tight and even.
I was so happy with Sonny. He walked up and down and up and down that driveway today on the buckle without batting an eye. He has had the whole winter completely off- and much of the fall too. He was awsome! When I first got him out, the other two were still in the paddock- they were calling and calling and he wasn't flustered one bit. He is starting to shed out, and loved the attention I think! I was bummed to say the least when Beau came up off again, but Sonny and Squeeke got me feeling much better. I'm still sad- I want him to be sound... but I had a great time out in the driveway none-the-less.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, so jealous. It looks like you had a ton of fun. So sorry to hear about Beau. Hopefully something will get figured out soon.
    My hubby just got us a new gelding today- he is about 17, but hopefully bomb proof and will work for my girls.

    ReplyDelete