Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tryin' out a new trail

Yesterday was a beautiful afternoon, and I had "scheduled" Bill and Wes for Daddy time (if I don't get "me" time into Bill's book it's hit or miss- plus Wednesdays are Linda's 1/2 day at work, and I've been anxious to ride with her) so Linda and I explored a new (to me) trail system. She has been there a few times with another riding partner, but I haven't had a chance to get over there- we finally had the time to ride together, so off we went!

Olivia and I pass the Kennebunk Plains on our way to volunteer at the animal shelter, and I've always noticed it because it's an odd environment for this area. It's a large open space with small scrubby trees and lots of wild grasses. I always thought it was a bird sanctuary, and I'm still not sure about that. We saw lots of "reserve boundary" signs, so I do know it's some sort of reserve at least. We were able to access the main "plain" via some nice sandy trails from the parking area- then circumnavigated the "plain" and were out for a bit over an hour. There seems to be more that could be explored- it's an interesting area. It was nice in that the open space generated enough of a wind to keep the black flies at bay! They have hit early, and HARD this year!

I didn't get any good pictures of the plain, but here we are on the access trail. My goal is to be ready to do a hunter pace next month... so Beau and I need to get out more! I rode Saturday, but haven't seen the saddle since then. He was a very good boy- walked a tad slow but moved right out in the trot. I only let him break to the canter one quick time... we are both out of shape and I must admit I have a bit more of a sense of self preservation now! I really don't want to get hurt again... in fact I can't get hurt again! My OB (when asked if I had permission to ride after my section was healed) said something to the affect of "you had a lot of responsibility before; now you have a LOT of responsibility." Geeze. Thanks! Now I hear her in my ear all the time! And there is Bill... his parting remarks when I head out to ride?! "Don't get hurt!" Thanks Honey!
Miller and Beau do so well together and I really enjoy my rides with Linda- it was a great afternoon! We worked up a bit of a sweat, but did a lot of walking and chatting too. I was so happy to have the chance to steal away for a few hours and try out a new trail. And, yes Sue- we passed you in Sanford on the way home!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex, finally a half of second to respond on your blog.. honestly, my time lately.. isn't mine... but, I wanted so bad to stop quickly at the Hannaford the other time, but I had a meeting at church that I was already late for.... and I still want that cup of tea with you and Wes..and would love to join you gals on the trails if you don't mind another tag along... and YES.. Wes is the cutest little boy we know!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete