Thursday, April 30, 2009

The View from Up Here


Beau had another evaluation yesterday... his vets told me I am crazy for being disappointed with the level of progress. They were very pleased- in fact they said "it looks a million times better every time we see him!" They said the swelling was at least 50% down; I guess looking at it every day I sort of miss the little subtle changes. So, that was good to hear. We were asked to continue with the 15-20-15 sessions of cold hosing and walking... but 1 or 2 of his walks can be under saddle! Yippee!!! So, last night that's just what I did- hopped right on. I was a bit nervous with how spooky he has been, but I just needed to get my a** in the saddle! It felt so good~ he was awsome. We had one little startle, but he just sort of spooked in place, then went right back to walking. He was stiff and a bit poky- but that's too be expected with the length of time off and amount of stall rest he has had!


This afternoon Savanna wanted to go with me. She has been asking to ride Squeeke, but I have been so involved with Beau that the last thing I want to do is more laps in the driveway! So, now that I can walk him under saddle... we went together. After school she groomed while I hosed, then we walked for the 20 mins up and down the drive. Since I have been walking them together- they were happy to mosey along side by side. Savanna was so happy to ride! I didn't realize how much they missed it while I have been tied up with Beau! She even wore britches to school today so she wouldn't have to change when we got home! She cleaned her saddle and bridle before she left for school, and was thrilled to have no homework so she could head right out to the barn.


Olivia came for "moral" support and had a lead if either of the horses decided to act up. But we didn't need her! Both the ponies were great. Since neither has had any real work lately, I wasn't sure what to expect out of them- but they were perfect! Savanna was mostly able to tack up herself, which is a goal of hers. She also mounted from the ground, which she has been dying to learn! She was very proud of herself, and I was proud of the two of them too! Our little pony walked like a dream- she is such a good girl! She has only been ridden once since we got her- and that day Bill and I both tried her out, and Olivia (stronger and more confident) warmed her up. She was awsome for Savanna to tack up- she stood so nicely, and let Savanna fuss and such. Savanna is still learning to tack herself, so Squeeke put up with all of it... They really did great today... Savanna wants to show Squeeke and use her for Pony Club... I see more trips down the driveway in my future!


Beau also got clearance for a small amount of turn-out as long as he will "stay quiet" He was very glad for his first legal roll! He was out for a bit this evening. I'm not sure you could call him "quiet" but he needed to get out big time! I hosed his hock after he was out, and will try to let him have some time tomorrow if he will be calm. I'd like to try the three of them on grass. Beau also will continue with the surpass cream daily, and will drop back to 1gr bute every other day. He also had his wrapping dropped back- I'll need to have him stack wrapped every third night. It's another step in the right direction, and I'm so glad to be able to sit on him! The clinic wants him back in 2 weeks, and then maybe we will be cleared for trot work. Fingers crossed, but for now I'm just going to enjoy the view from on top of my horse!



2 comments:

  1. Alex!!! what a wonderful blog.. and "haven't we been waiting for that one forever"!!!! I am sure it's hard for you seeing him on the day to day basis, but I am sure the drs. won't steer you wrong and they must see the improvements!!! finally, good weather, winter is gone and your pony is well on the mend!!!! major congrats.... and Happy birthday to boot!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting to hear that from you!!!! So excited to see the view from the top. Glad to hear that your girls are riding again too. :) isn't it fun to watch them grin when they ride. :)

    ReplyDelete