Thursday, August 27, 2009

One step forward?

On Tuesday Beau went back to the clinic for yet another visit. He has a smaller hole now above and to the right of the large abscess. It ballooned most of last week and ruptured Sunday. They again looked via ultrasound at the leg, and were unable to find anything as far as foreign objects of large pockets of infection. After a new surgeon examined him (my usual guy was on vacation) and spoke with my vet and I, he seemed happy with the progress and suggested once again that we do nothing. So, that's what we did. They did change the discharge directions a bit this time. Since the holes are mostly closed, and there were no pockets noted on the ultrasound, we are going to wean him off the wraps during the day- and only stack wrap at night. In addition we are going to start increasing his walks- by 5 mins a day one week at a time... and I can do 2 of his daily walks under saddle! Yipee! So, I can do 15mins twice a day at the walk in tack, and one walk a day for 20mins in hand. Then we will add 5 more minutes to each per week. So, next week 20-25-20 and so on. Plus, I don't have to hose him any longer! That's the best part I think- the riding is great, and I'm thrilled. But, I'm so glad to be done with cold hosing!! We will taper him off the last of the bute, and finish off the rest of the 8weeks of antibiotics. They want to recheck him in 2 weeks as he was still lame at the trot, and they were not too enthusiastic about Acadia. I guess I'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I'm trying not to be too upset about it now! So, all in all a good visit... I'm glad we dodged the drain again, and I'm happy to be able to walk him... so certainly it feels like a step in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment