Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Will it ever end?!

Sunday morning when I unwrapped Beau's left hind, this is what I found. Actually, I went to touch the leg (to feel for heat/swelling etc.) as I normally do- and I got a spout of yellow fluid from the leg. It was an actual up and out squirt, a steady stream spurting from this "wound" Obviously I panicked and called the emergency service. "Oh Super!" Was the response from the on call vet (the clinic has 3 vets and they are all familiar with Beau and I by now!) "I think you may have found part of the problem!" She diagnosed an abscess... rupturing from the side of his hock. We were able to avoid an emergency call, and have been treating it at home. I flush it with a betadine solution, have been using a hot compress as he allows, and as he is already on antibiotics we should be ok. He is no more sore or lame than he had been- maybe even better. He has no fever, and is eating and acting well. They will come this afternoon or tomorrow (wed) when they can fit him in (to avoid an emergency call farm fee) as its a pretty odd gaping hole now... I'll try to grab a picture later- its pretty gruesome.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,
    I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. I am your children's Aunt Keri, in Utah. I found your Blog through Savannah's and I was so excited to see the pictures of the kids and the fun things you all do together. It's been a long time since I've seen them! My parents met you last month and have raved at what an excellant mother you are to them. I'm so thankful that they have you!
    Looks like you are having some problems with your horse. Good luck with that. It's never fun or cheap to deal with that kind of stuff. I just sold my horse in April and I miss her pretty bad. It's an expensive addiction, horses. Out here it's getting more and more expensive to own one. How lucky you all are to have your farm! I'd love to live somewhere like Maine!
    Sorry so long. once again, I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog. Tell Bill and the kids hello for me!

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well well! Are we supposed to be happy? about the hole in his leg? Of course, he has no fever, is no more lame then he was, and is eating and 'happy'. I suppose the infection making it's way out is a good thing! All good news, I think!! I am just hoping that there were either 2 original sites, or one that went up not out, and this will all end permanently, eventually!

    ReplyDelete