Saturday, August 15, 2009

Peaches and Plums

I know it doesn't look like much- the sun was setting and its hard to see in the picture, but our peach tree is laden! It is positively drooping with fruit. We had an amazing harvest last year- I didn't think it could be topped... boy was I wrong!
It will be another week or so, I'm guessing... but we are going to have a ton of peaches! And, I have a confession to make, I think I have a freezer bag still left from last year! Better make some smoothies pronto.

And for the first year our plum tree has produced! Last year it made just a few little fruits that fell off before they ripened. This year we got quite a batch- my Dad took some home and I have some in the fridge too! Loads of them dropped to the ground, but unlike the peaches, I don't have a lot of ideas for things to do with them... so I wasn't too sad over the loss. Their flesh is amazingly sweet and a deep deep purple black (darker then a grocery store fruit) while the skin is pretty tough and rather bitter- but eaten in one or two bites these little gems are quite tasty! Now if only our apples and pear would get with the program!


1 comment:

  1. I've been seeing a lot of fruit posts out in the blogosphere. We have plum and apple trees, but somehow the bugs, the quail and bunnies always get to the fruit before it ripens.

    ReplyDelete