Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Back to the Beach

After our first full week off antibiotics, I took Beau for our first beach ride of the season! He was spectacular (although, why would I have expected anything less?!) especially given that he has had a full week off. He threw a shoe when I rode last week on Wednesday, and gosh knows I can't get a farrier to come out here! Geeze. Apparently carrying a son isn't payment enough, and it took a few days to get onto the books. So, yeah with the rain and the lost shoe and a day or two off turned into a week! Poor guy- he is back onto 24hr turnout, and was still getting his grazing time... but we haven't done any work under saddle. He and his buddy Miller were both stellar- we were there right at low tide, and were able to do the full length of the beach- further than we have ever gone! We had a few nice trot stretches, and even a canter or two! He was fine about going into the water- he remembered it pretty quickly, and was good about walking in the waves. It was cool with a bit of a breeze, but after the grey start to the day the sun did try to poke thru and it warmed up once the wind was at our backs. It was exactly the kind of ride I needed- completely uneventful- such a relaxing and beautiful trip! I'm sure I'll be on egg shells for a while, just closely monitoring the leg... we have been this far once before, but I am hopeful that we may be past all of this and will have many more beach rides this fall and winter (before my belly gets too big!)

2 comments:

  1. I am dying to take Mocha and cart to the beach.... just need a full day that I can do it without any schedules that would make me come back too soon.... and then I need to take Tonka, but will probably need an extra pair of hands for that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that you get to ride on the beach!! Sigh...I have always wanted to do that! I am glad you had a wonderful ride!! Sounds really nice!!! And I rode up until 7 months with my first.

    ReplyDelete