Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The week in review

Well, time sure flies! I can't believe another week has gone by. We are just over the 23 week mark for the pregnancy. I have had a bit of anxiety carrying this baby, and for some reason I have 24 weeks in my head as a "safe" zone. I read that 90% of babies born at 24 weeks survive. We personally know a 24 weeker (she started kindergarten this year!) and I sort of feel that I can "relax" a little as we get closer and closer to that mark. It's totally outrageous and unfounded... but it's how I feel... I just want this baby so badly, I almost can't let myself get excited for fear that something bad is going to happen... I have this arbitrary date of 24 weeks in my head as a marker for when I can let my "guard down" a bit. I can't wait for next week!

But, even when we get to that point in the pregnancy, there will be no stopping! The days just keep marching by, one by one each with it's own set of things to do. Now that school and sports and scouts have all started back up, we certainly have been keeping busy. Olivia is on the 7th grade soccer team at school, and has practice every afternoon and games one or two days a week. Last Monday swimming lessons started back up- I took the summer off as I felt pretty crappy this spring, and didn't know how much I was going to be able to tolerate, but we are glad to be back at the pool. The girls are in the same class, and Billy swims simultaneously in a lower level. I got yelled at for having my camera out in the pool. Apparently it's a rule- no picture taking. Sheeze, I didn't want other peoples kids in bathing suits- just my own! Oh well, I suppose its a safety rule for a reason!

I had to miss their first swim class for a Girl Scout training I needed to take, then missed Olivia's first soccer game and then her first dance a few days later! I had meetings every afternoon and evening last week! Cub scouts, Girl scouts, school open houses, CPR and first aid... It's been a week of meetings and classes.

One afternoon I did find time to get Poke and Anna opened up into new grazing- then Poke promptly split open his head. He has a nice 2" by 1" gash over his left eye. I didn't panic too badly, as he has no sight in the eye anyhow- so with protecting the eye no longer a concern, its just keeping him comfortable while it heals. Bute and SMZs and we should be good to go. The eye itself looks fine, and the orbit doesn't appear damaged- so hopefully its just a wound that will heal and we will be back on our merry way! Having the blind guy around always makes things interesting! It was a tough call, since he doesn't see, but I took the gamble of giving them more space as I wanted them to have more grass... guess I won't do that again!

The vet was out today. I just found out that she has the audacity to leave me. She is leaving the practice actually, and I got 24hrs to soak it in before she arrived for our appointment. I'm so sad! She is moving in with her boyfriend in Manhattan... I suppose I can forgive her that. This is her last week of work, and she was able to squeeze us in. I feel like I'm going to be lost without her, i don;t want to get anyone else "up to speed!" She knows Beau's case inside and out! Sniff Sniff. How could she do this to me?! We have EEE all over the place around here- horses are dying in many of the surrounding towns, so we did 3 way boosters (and also for flu/rhino) plus Squeeke had a float and Beau his final exam. The Dr from the clinic told her to have me call with anything- and she gave me her personal cell and e-mail so I can keep her updated.

I rode him 45mins this am on the trails- he was good and the leaves are really starting to change. It's quite pretty out there- He had the weekend off as my college roommate got married on the Cape and Bill and I were down there for the wedding, then I had a migraine yesterday. By the afternoon he was pretty stocked up so I turned him out for some grass which helped, but the ride this morning brought it down pretty well. He is on an every other night wrap now and tomorrow will be the last of the antibiotics. Fingers crossed!
We went for a longer ride last week with our friends Linda and Miller- Beau and he get along so well. We found some great trails that come out of the forest land that abuts the equestrian center we belong to. After an hour we had to turn back and we never found anything! We hit a 6 way intersection at some point, and have no idea where any of these trails go. It will be so much fun to explore them... hopefully we will be up for it soon! We were gone 2 hours and he was great, so I'm hopeful.
Soccer games, school dance, scout meetings, swim lessons, vet visits... it's no wonder the week flew! I can't wait for Monday to come- 24 weeks baby!!


No comments:

Post a Comment