Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cellulitis revisited and Squeekers' field trip

I'm about as bummed as one can be about Beau. Bill has voted to rename him "Lemon!" I only laugh halfheartedly when he calls him that. I am a bit hopeful (although I remember how this went last time, so I am also sick to my stomach in the same moment) as the fever is down, the tenderness seems less and he continues to bear weight and is willing to walk. The swelling is alarming however- it makes me actually wonder at what point skin will split... He had oral baytril and banamine this morning, and is in great spirits- so the plan is to continue this course of action a few days more and see what result we get. I was also advised to hand walk him 5mins prior to hosing as long as he is willing. I did so tonight, and he was forward and happy to go, another reason to be hopeful.

Savanna and I had plans to go ride with her best fried and her Mom today. I called them yesterday when this all started with Beau and she encouraged me to bring Savanna anyhow! Well, it was supposed to be rainy and grey all day, and I really wasn't in the mood but Savanna had her heart set on it, so off we went! Squeekers was a champ- she did quite a bit of squealing at the new horses, but composed herself well.

They have a covered arena- it's sort of an odd environment, and she didn't bat an eye. It was quite busy with a summer camp going on, but both of them handled it well. It was good to see how both of them reacted to a busy (6 other horses) indoor. Savanna has been working towards a show this weekend, so I was glad to get Squeeke off the farm and was very pleased with her behavior- besides the squealing and squirting! Yup, she went right into heat when she saw Kate's pony gelding... and Snicker wanted nothing to do with her! Poor girl had to come home and make do with her "brothers!"
A butt shot for Sue H... look at that tail! We will have to trim the mane for the show, but her hind end is as glorious as ever ;) Overall we had a great visit- Savanna and Kate enjoyed their rides, and I got a good sense of how good Squeeke is off farm- she trailed well (seemed a bit anxious when we first loaded, but hauled just fine... we gave her loads of cookies and promised she was coming right back!) and was willing regardless of quite a bit of commotion. Savanna will have to watch her hind end near the other horses, and she tends to swish and squeal when coming up from behind, but I'll put a red ribbon in her tail to try to deter that at Pony Club and shows. I think our girl is going to have a great summer with her little pony mare. Now if only my guy would get better quick!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alex.. don't really know what to say, except that I am watching the blog carefully and anxious to hear any news on Beau..... please keep us posted and we will continue healing prayers!!! Savanna and Squeek looked so cute.. is that what I have to look forward to????? maybe Pony Club one day........ wish her great luck at the show and tell us all about it....

    ReplyDelete