Monday, July 27, 2009

Beau Update

Well, folks. It's bad. We could sure use your prayers or thoughts or positive energy or whatever... things are doing downhill pretty fast around here. Beau has spiked a high fever despite a week of heavy antibiotics. There is no explanation for why now he is getting much worse, let alone for why this relapse at all.

The hard decision has been made not to do all that we did last time. I can't justify the huge expense when they can not explain why this happened at all- not why in March, not why on Monday and not why all of a sudden the down slide. Without some understanding of why this is happening, they cant say if or when it will happen again.

We switched antibiotics last night, and he hovered in the 104s all night. He had a wet sheet on and I hosed him frequently... he is hanging by the fan as we speak. He is otherwise alert and attentive- he is still eating and pooping as normal. I am devastated and beside myself with worry and grief- this is the hardest thing... he is an otherwise perfect horse! We just can't get him sound.

He will go in to the vets office for an ultrasound tomorrow just to be extra sure we didn't miss anything, then hopefully this new antibiotic will do the trick. Otherwise I fear we are just buying time... I'll keep you posted.


  1. Oh my goodness!!! I will have to do some back reading to see all that is going on!! I hope and pray everything will work out and Beau will feel better soon!

  2. Oh Alex.. I am so sorry to hear this news... I will keep everyone in my prayers... try to be strong, and keep us posted when you can... IF THERE IS ANYTHING I CAN DO>>>> PLEASE CALL!!!!!!!