Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Chicks

We now have 4 baby chicks. Don't ask me how I got put in charge of taking care of anything else... It just happened! We lost 3 of our hens to a raccoon a few weeks ago- it was a bad scene. One of the really hot nights Olivia woke me up at 1am crying that a hen was "being torn to shreds" outside her open window. We had a miscommunication about who was locking them up, and the back door to the coup was left open. Two were killed that evening, and one injured one lasted a few days then we lost her too. It was the first loss we have had in over three years that I've had my flock, I was pretty bummed. Bill and I discussed getting chicks, and I thought we had decided we didn't need any more critters. I have my rooster and 5 hens remaining, that's plenty for me.
Then last weekend, they all headed off to an open house at one of the stables where Bill works- it was a big event with lots of vendors and activities. One of the booths there had these babies... and Bill's a softy. So, he and the kids came home with 4. They are really cute- I'll admit it. I love my chickens, and I'm thankful to be able to keep them, but I don't even like eggs! These little gals will be this fluffy and cute for a few weeks- then man do they get ugly! For now though- there really isn't much cuter than a baby chick!

2 comments:

  1. that's how I feel about our turkey chicks... which will be in shortly... they're so cute in the beginning, and then.... well, good thing, because I have less guilt when it come to... errr "the end".... or the freezer, which ever you want to call it.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. no we stoped at dobble g on the way back!! :}

    ReplyDelete