Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Big Baby Day

http://carters.kidslineinc.com/products/collections/tree_tops.php

I realize this is a ridiculously small picture... but it is the nursery collection we have decided to use for the baby. It is by Carters, and called Tree Tops (or Forest Friends... they are making a few changes to the set) I love it! The raccoon is my favorite, and although the baby won't have a nursery per se, I can't wait to get his little area all set up in this stuff! My Mom and I went yesterday and did our registry, so we are all set for what we want. Now, we just have to keep waiting!

Bill and I also had our first birthing class last night. He is sweet to go through it all again with me. I want as natural a birth experience as I can have, so it was important to me to take these classes. We opted to take hypnobirthing... or the Mongan Method. Now I know what you think- yipes. Crazy lady! Well, its not hypnosis as in a stage act- more of a deep natural relaxation and body awareness technique. I am excited for the prospect of empowering myself enough so I can go through my birth with minimal intervention. I have long known that a natural birth experience was what I wanted- I always wondered how we as a society got to the point where birth is such a commercial event- we have been sold an expectation of a drama filled labor necessitating loads of drugs and medical procedures for a successful outcome. I know this is not the case- it's not true of births around the rest of the world, and it's not true for all of the other animal forms that share our planet. The female body was designed to do this... why are we led to believe was are patients who need interventions? I wish to be allowed to be a parent, and welcome our baby boy into the world by the way I was designed... I know my body can do this. I want the opportunity to allow it to be so.

I have watched plenty of horses foal, and know that all of the other creatures on our planet are able to birth their babies unassisted and without medical intervention... so why can't I?! We will deliver in a hospital setting (both because my Mom is a nurse there, and because it really is the best place in terms of dealing with special circumstances) but I hope that through this class, as well as though my ability to work with my body, we can bring this little guy into the world with no chemicals in either of our systems, and without the stress and trauma of a pain filled and fear based delivery. Here's to roughly 15 more weeks of preparing and 5 more weeks of Wednesday night classes!

2 comments:

  1. What fun that was yesterday! While it is true that having babies has become very comercialized, it is also true that there is no right way to have a baby~ it is between you and Mother Nature and the baby- and sometimes Mother Nature or the baby have more determination over how the time will pass or how he will come out! I know you know that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE that crib set! It's so super cute!! I love it. And girl, you are so brave. I was good up until the contractions hit about 120 and then I wanted some pain meds. I am grateful for what my ancestors went through to have babies, but I am grateful for modern medicine!! I think you are a very strong woman and wish you the best of luck!! And you are right, woman have babies all the time without meds and they make it through it just fine!! It's always important to go into the hospital with a birthing plan and make sure there are wonderful people there to support you!! Oh I can't wait to see your little boy! Any updates on names?

    ReplyDelete